Reading Notes: Khasi, Week 6

I really enjoyed this week's reading. The Indian animals were far more descriptive and clever. I especially enjoyed The Tiger and the Monkeys. The story was clever and the premise was so relative to today.  I think it relates a lot to politicians and leaders of today that are so far removed from the "little guy" (or the little bug) that they don't understand what is happening at all on behalf of their constituents. It also points out the mistake in the way that "Kings" are chosen. The very thing that led to his being chosen was the crux of the deception that undid him. (The monkeys used his strength, and even hubris about his strength against him.) I will be thinking of a fun but socially relevant way to retell this story!

Beware the Mighty Tiger. Source: Wikipedia

I also really really loved the The Legend of the lei Tree. The imagery and symbolism of the malevolent shadow was so rich! It also sparked creative ideas about recreating the story. It hasn't fully coalesced in my head, which means it may come to nothing! :)

Finally, I enjoyed the creationist aspects of the story of the The Goddesses Ka Ngot and Ka Iam. The way the story encompassed both a moral lesson similar to the tortoise and the hare, while also described the way the rivers formed the landscape. Creation stories about the natural world are some of my favorites and I enjoyed that aspect of this story.

I look forward to tonight's reading because there are already some fun options for retelling. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction

Week 10 Story: Raven Meets the Young Boy