Week 2: Topic Brainstorm

There are so many possible topics to choose from, that even this brainstorming assignment is a little intimidating.

My favorite topics in studying ancient literature has always been finding similar themes or  topics from all around the world and seeing the different perspectives.

In keeping with that idea, I was drawn to the idea of studying Ghost Stories. More specifically looking at the different ways that people from different cultures throughout history view and prepare for the afterlife. I would specifically like to look at early examples of Ghosts stories. Source: Ghost Stories

Likewise, it could be fun to choose an animal and examine depictions and descriptions of that animal throughout history and across cultures. I once wrote a short story that I always imagined someday turning into a novel. The story touched on the jaguar shamans and were-jaguars in the mesoamerican cultures, like the Mayans. This could be a great opportunity to learn more about these stories and try to make something happen in that story. Source: Jaguars

A Stone Olmec were-jaguar. Source: Wikipedia


I am also considering selecting a hero tale to explore. This can be a more straightforward approach to the project, but can also present a fun look into the culture from which is originates. Studying Thor would also give me an excellent excuse to include photos of actor Chris Hemsworth when I look at the recent appearances of Thor in the Marvel comic and compare it to the original stories from Norse mythology.
Actor Chris Hemsworth depicting Marvel Comic's Thor and being fun to look at. Source: Flickr

As much as I like all of these ideas, I am most intrigued by your suggestion of Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales. I've read Oscar Wilde and always enjoyed his harsh criticism of his fellow man and his dark sense of humor. Honestly, I had no idea that he'd written fairy tales. I find it extremely interesting for the author to have written fairy tales. In brainstorming for this post, I read a little of the Happy Prince and enjoyed the themes I saw in it. I believe that I would enjoy studying the authors lesser known works and exploring why they are lesser known. Source: Essay on Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales


Comments

  1. Hi Samantha, nice to meet you! I was also interested possibly looking at some of the Norse mythology (i.e. Thor), but I have to be honest, your idea about the jaguar shamans and were-jaguars seems really cool! I'd never heard of either of those things coming out of Mesoamerican culture, so my interest is definitely piqued, and I'd love to see what you do with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction

Topic Research