Week 4 Story: A Cardinal fights the Wind

A Cardinal Fights the Wind

The tiny bird waited, trembling within the tenuous shelter of the trees larger branches, for the air around her to calm. She knew this storm was too powerful; she knew the safe thing would be to wait through the storm. Still, every fiber of her being itched with need—her babies were waiting, hungry and scared—she had no choice but to be brave and fight this wind.

The cruel wind. Source: Flickr


As she struggled, sometimes being carried backwards a greater distance than she had traveled, she noticed the terrible wails around her. The wind was howling. The wind! The very thing that stood in her way, fighting her and beating her more and more with each stroke of her wings, had the gall to whine and complain. How brazen it was! She with her simple purpose had to battle to every inch, but she did so in silence. How dare the wind put up such a fuss!

But she would be strong! She would hold fast to her the small meal in her beak and bring it home to those who needed her. With pride and tenacity, unlike the audacious wind, fought on.

"They complain most who suffer least."

Author's Note: 
This week I found a fondness for Winter's retelling of Aesop's fables. Especially the story of The Oxen and the Wheels. (Source: The UNtextbook: Aesop's (Winters) I liked the way the story personified not only the animals to make it's point, but also the inanimate object, the wheels. For this retelling, I kept the same moral and changed the characters, setting, and plot. Hopefully, it conveyed the lesson in the same way. 
We only anger ourselves and make our plight more difficult by worrying over the complaints of others. They will complain, because they don't know any better. We cannot let them affect us. We must keep on keeping on. 

Comments

  1. Hey Samantha,

    I thought the detail and description in your story was really good. It was definitely one of the most descriptive stories I have read this semester. While I think the detail was good, there was almost too much of it and not enough substance. I felt as though I was getting lost in the picture of your story but not following as much of what was happening. I really enjoyed how you changed the characters, setting and plot because it made the story a little easier to follow than the original one, but I also wonder if you added more of a backstory and substance to the bird before and after the wind, it could help get your lesson across better.

    If you were to add more dialogue that was separate from your paragraphs it might be a little easier to follow, since I was not sure if it was the wind that was talking each time. Overall, I really think this story was great and your descriptive words were awesome. I cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha! First off, I am in awe in the way that you wrote this story! It had so much imagery that I felt like I was there, watching as the bird took flight. I think it's very creative how you personified the bird and revealed it's thoughts and feelings, in addition to revealing a really true message at the end. This was great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha! I loved how you kept the personification of the animals! I loved how it was almost poem-like because of the hyper-description! I felt as if I needed to get out a pen and diagram what every line meant! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction

Week 10 Story: Raven Meets the Young Boy